About Me

My photo
I am a married woman with children out of the home now developing my own interests, hobbies making my way through the heat of the experiences and days of my life. (Click on pictures to enlarge.)

Followers

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Roasted Tomatoes

My favorite tomato of them all is the Roma Tomato. I like that they are firm fleshed and strong skinned and are amenable to whatever cooking is required without losing thier shape or colour. When roasted they retain thier shape and become sweeter as they cook.
One of my favorite things to do with Roma Tomatoes is to roast them. I like to put spices and before roasting is finished sprinkle a bit of cheese on top that I have on hand. Here I have roasted tomatoes along with my bacon cooking in the oven. The little bit of bacon fat that the tomato sits on adds another layer of flavor to the tomato.
Cut Roma Tomatoes in half, lay out each half on a baking sheet and drizzle with good Olive Oil. Sprinkle with salt and ground pepper and whatever herbs strike your fancy. Here I used a bit of basil and oregano. About ten minutes before roasting is complete, I sprinkled a good pinch of crumbled Blue Cheese over each tomato and finished cooking. The blue cheese retained some of its firmness and a bit of melted creamy cheese as well on each tomato. Serve these with Bacon for a wonderful Sunday breakfast!!

1 comment:

Donnetta said...

oh YUM! I am going to have to try this!!